When Nintendo said that they would be giving us a look at the new Super Smash Bros. for The Nintendo Switch, boy did they mean it. We were treated to the kind of in depth look that we would expect from a Nintendo Direct. Nintendo didn’t hold any details back during it’s presentation a few minutes ago. Before, we delve into Smash, let’s talk about a few of the other announcements…
- Daemon X Machina: Was the very first game shown during the conference. The cel shaded mech style game didn’t give a lot of info other than a 2019 release window.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Will have new DLC coming soon titled Torna The Golden Country. This of course if free if you purchased the expansion pass.
- Lets Go Pikachu and Eevee was shown briefly with emphasis on The Poke Ball Plus attached which is sold separately. This add on will come with mythical Pokemon Mew already caught.
- Super Mario Party was announced for release on October 5th 2018. This new game will allow friends to connect their Switch consoles for competitive and co-op play. This is something that I can say I really haven’t seen anywhere before.
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses was revealed for a release in 2019. I really thought we would get something this year.
- Indy titles were on display as well with Overcooked 2, Killer Queen Black and Hollow Knight being shown.
- Other titles included Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Dragon Ball Z Fighterz, Mario + Rabbids Donkey Kong DLC and more.
- FORTNITE: Did I forget that Fortnite is not playable on the Switch TODAY? The game that I felt should have opened the presentation as thrown in the middle for some reason
The presentation went fairly fast leading up to Super Smash Bros Ultimate. The new Smash for The Nintendo Switch will include every fighter that has even shown up in a previous game which is huge. Nintendo did a great job in introducing the character along with their numbered entry into the series. The narrator of the video then described the changed in each character from previous games. All the way down to the facial changes in Wii Fit Trainer. We were then shown new super moves, then power ups, then stages…it seemed like it would never end.
I skimmed through most of the comments throughout the presentation on IGN and most of us were overwhelmed with the information. We didn’t expect to be presented with that much info. I was even growing tired and I enjoy playing Smash. There was no mention of Bayonetta, Metroid, Pokemon RPG or even Yoshi. Nintendo put everything into Smash and while I know it’s going to be huge but, us true Nintendo fans wanted more. Smash isn’t the only game that matters this year…or is it?